Skip to main content

Any neutral observer who ignores the conservative corporate media's conventional wisdom can see serious problems with this nomination. There are several scandals that can be declared smoking guns.

The moment is ours for the seizing. I implore all of you at daily kos, please just don't give up before Alito is blocked or confirmed ok? Isn't holding confirmation until we have hearings on the FISA scandal a politically reasonable and realistic option. Hell it's a compromise.

Filibustering Alito - The Next Steps on the flip

1. Ignore the haters, the doubters, the naysayers and the people who love to lose. Ignore the conventional wisdom of the conservative corporate media. It is the same CW machine that made Howard Dean out to be a screaming madman. It only works if you buy into it.
2. Spread this idea through the blogosphere:
    a) The GOP rushed us into war, we wont rush Sammy "Unitary Executive" onto a lifetime appointment. The senate must first hold hearings on FISA scandal. The base knows we can win, we are confident.
    b) The "Smoking Gun": The FISA NSA Warrant-less wiretap scandal + Unitary Executive theory = smoking gun for people who care about living in a constitutional republic. For people concerned about choice the smoking gun is the memo stating "The constitution does not protect a right to an abortion.
    c) The Confirmation Hearing "Gaffe": Alito'o evasivness and contradictory statements.
    d) Alito's credibility: Told senate he would recuse in Vanguard - did not recuse. Simple as that.
3. From the blogosphere to the Traditional media to the senators, that is the plan. We need to call C-SPAN, talk radio, write letters to editor and hammer our senators. Rally outside their offices, freewayblogging - whatever it takes. Make video clips and send them to filibusterscalito.com.  FilibusterScalito.com will have more details on the organized coordinated campaign to delay confirmation.

It is completely reasonable and likely to buy time here, I believe the senators have SERIOUS problems with Alito. Nothing that has happened so far rules out a filibuster, in fact the senators have set up the conditions for one perfectly. Delaying a vote until after the FISA hearings, that is our goal, our concrete demand.  Maybe the GOP will go along with delaying the vote until we know all the facts, probably not - that is why we filibuster until the hearings. This president does not deserve this nominee

I am going to respectfully ask anyone who thinks this is not worth the effort to PLEASE KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOURSELF, right now they are not helpful. I will not argue with anyone about that right now, I do not have the time. I will be happy to get into long-winded discussions on Alito after the dust settles and the outcome is decided. We had months to discuss Alito, now is the time to fight.

It would be nice to get our idea that we will win a filibuster onto the front page.

Let's think back to 2000 in Florida, Gore won the votes - that didn't stop the Republicans from winning the presidency.  They banged down the door in that office and it was a famous video clip. Remember only the conservative corporate media's conventional wisdom says a filibuster is unlikely. Ignore those shills and you can see a filibuster is likely.

When I wrote my diary on Biden on CNN I was despondent, I felt America was lost. After the amazing resposne to my call to arms I have a mission, and I feel empowered and excited, and I think we can win. Stop doubting and join us, you'll feel much better than just giving up. FilibusterScalito.com will be the place where we organize.

UPDATE Go to FilibusterScalito.com

Take a group of blogs on the list and contact them, leave comments and e-mail authors. Leave a comment on filibusterscalito.com as to what group of blogs your taking and your name.

The idea is each group gets taken by at least 2 people. This way we get the idea out to the blogosphere, and from there it will permeate into the traditional media, and when the public realizes there a groundswell of grassroots support the senators will pay attention. Once the senators put up a fight all this shoe in talk will be replaced by a debate where there penchant for balance will force them to cover the story in depth instead of glancing over it. We will win this debate.

Also call up C-SPAN and Air America.

Could someone make a banner for our campaign? It would be good to get these same blogs to display the banner as a symbol of their support, either a banner or a ribbon will do.

Once we figure out the proper way to accept funds ( I dont know the laws on that) you can also donate money.

Also you can make a 30-60 second ad on the filibustering of Alito. When you are done post a link to the web site.

You can also help by helping out on the web site- we need a page made up that is permanent that displays our mission statement, our case.

It would be great to have a permanent Filibuster Alito Post on the front page!

We can do this everyone!

Originally posted to Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 09:42 AM PST.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  hammer away (4.00)
    My Senators (Dewine and Voinivich) are lost causes on this.  But, no I don't think its time to give up.  This is beginning to feel like post Katrina.  Somewhere, sometime, the democrats in Washington have to stand up and say NO!  Somewhere they have to fight for something besides saving their own rears.

-4.63,-3.54 If the people will lead the leaders will follow

by calebfaux on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 09:46:49 AM PST

•  Please explain to me ... (4.00)
      I called my senators and urgently asked them to filibuster. I politely asked to speak to my senators directly, but of course was only able to get an aide to "make a note" of my viewpoint.

Next I called senators in other states. Byrd (W-Va) has spoken eloquently in defense of the right to filibuster, so I called and begged him to filibuster this one. Then I called Ted Kennedy (MA). I told his aide that this is a moment of national crisis, we can't have a judge who believes in the "supremacy of the executive"  and doesn't respect the fundamental concept of checks and balances.

I explained that my family immigrated here from from Europe after WWII and were now American citizens.  They had seen their country conquered by a fascist regime and those emigrees, now in their 80s, clearly see that what is happening now in the U.S. is a wake-up call.  Then the aide in Kennedy's office said to me, "I know, there is a woman on the other line in her 80s, who escaped Hilter during WWII, and is saying the same thing as you are."

So why not filibuster, I asked?  The aide was harried with a constant deluge of calls coming in and had to put me on hold repeatedly, but took the time to explain, even though Kennedy is not my senator.  The Dems can filibuster, he said, but there are only 44 Dems and they need 41 votes to block cloture. Because of conservative and "moderate" (i.e., somewhat pro-fascist) Dems, they don't have the 41 votes they need.

Is that really the end of the story?  If that's true, how did the pro-segregrationist Southern Dems manage to filibuster our nation into keeping the electoral college?

In 1969, the House of Representatives passed an amendment to abolish the Electoral College by a huge bipartisan vote of 338 to 70. President Nixon endorsed it, and prospects for passage in the Senate seemed reasonably good. . .

Senators Bayh, Baker, and others spoke eloquently about the shortcomings of the Electoral College and the virtues of popular election. But they were greeted by a prolonged filibuster led by Sam Ervin of North Carolina, another opponent of civil rights and the Voting Rights Act. For several weeks, Ervin, Thurmond, and their allies took the floor to criticize the measure, arguing that it would undercut states' rights, harm the small states, destroy the two-party system, and encourage splinter parties, fraud, and intrusive national voting requirements. They also stalled relentlessly, even reading into the record the name of every prime minister of France since 1800, as evidence that direct elections produced instability.

The critical votes came on Sept. 17 and 29, on proposals to invoke cloture (end debate) and bring the direct-election amendment to a vote. The first cloture vote failed by six votes and the second by five. On Oct. 5, the issue was shelved indefinitely.

Please explain to me how the filibuster and cloture work and why some patriotic soul can't just stand up there and filibuster until the cows come home. Why is it that Dems can filibuster to protect racial inequality, but we can't filibuster to protect our Constitution?

What the hell do we have to do to get them to take this seriously?

•  Call them anyway (4.00)
      Get everyone willing to do it to call them as well.

The same for folks in any state that has two Rethug Senators.  Including my state of North Carolina.

Show them some heat, that we will not roll over.  They're counted on Democrats to assume that they do not represent us and roll over and play dead.  Remind them that we pay their salaries.  And also remind the aides that we pay their salaries too.

We need numbers here.  Figure that they count every irate phone call as representing 99 who don't have the guts to call but who will vote against them.  Let's have them do some scary math.

•  I wrote my reps: (4.00)

I think it is important to keep in mind that this is a life long apointment to the Supreme Court.  It's like any lawyers dream: we expect the person to be very reasonable, calm, and convincing like Judge Alito (and the Senators).  That is not the case, and I am NOT saying Alito is a bigot...his record clearly shows that he is not.

But that does not mean I think Samuel Alito shouldn't be filibustered.  With the revelations of Jack Abramoff and that BushCo has been issuing unwarranted wiretapping and spying (probably over the internet) on domestic citizens it is clear we have a Party that has an "unnatural" control of all 3 branches of the federal government.  By "unnatural" I mean they won on dirty money and dirty tricks....they've been running "trust me" campaigns for 5 years and judging by Jeff Gannon/Williams Armstrong, Jack Abramoff, and Iraqi body armor shortages in addition to no real WMD threat: that trust is clearly gone.

Alito has a history of telling people what they want to hear.  He forgets any past grievences or claims "that was his opinion at the time."  His opinions always change to reflect that of his current employers...and his employers tend to have been the same people over and over and over again...why should I think he check, what has become an extreme,  abuse of Power by George W. Bush?  I'm tired of DC being run like a frat-house.  That's why people like Alito land all these prestigous jobs and probably helped him get into Princeton in the first place: they're willing to join any organization that will further their goals.  And how can Alito "not recall" anything about Concerned Alumni of Princeton except that he joined to protest ROTC being kicked off campus for a whole year (oh boo hoo, try being kept out for 100).

No ones saying he's dumb.  No one's saying he's a bigot.  He constantly repeats the same coached line (probably by Senator Lindsey Graham) that he "constantly went above and beyond" and then cites situations that to be quiet frank, I would hope anyone would do...it's kind of his job.  And let's not forget if Alito doesn't land this job he's never going to have to worry about employment.  I don't want a judge who goes "above and beyond," above and beyond is what leads justifying 10 year olds being stripped searched...something Sandra Day O'Connor would never had done (clearly demonstrating he lacks her proclaimed empathy).

Which is why I say it's time to take a stand and filibuster until George W. Bush picks a better appointee...again.

Since when is it technically illegal to hate Bush?

by theleftknew on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 09:47:52 AM PST

•  I think you are right and maybe we should do (none)
    some calling into other districts also. say you're from a town in main or Rhode Island or california and call the weak links.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men~~ Abraham Lincoln

by Tanya on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 09:52:53 AM PST

•  My diary (4.00)
    I have a letter in my diary:  Iraq vote; Alito Vote; Fooled Again? to Democratic senators  and a new tactic.  Link it to their Iraq vote.

"Loyalty to your country always. Loyalty to your government when they deserve it." Mark Twain

by MontanaMaven on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 09:53:12 AM PST

•  Good job, Will. And good tie-in (none)
    [to the FISA issue, that is]. You've put forward here a great and sensible strategy.

I love it.  Recommended!!

Also, you are good at summarizing a few issues like your a) and b).  Here's a suggestion to you.  I don't think you need the work "gaffe," up above.  It's not what the hearings were about, and Armando or someone said as much.

Second, I think there are better issues to mention on credibilty than Vanguard.  Vanguard can be removed from our consideration, I think, for a couple of reasons.  Neither his financial interest (as a mutual fund holder) nor Vanguard's financial issue was at stake in the case at issue.  It was just who would own the fund, a woman or her ex-husband, if I remember correctly.  It really wouldn't have affected Vanguard's income, I don't think.  It was a divorce estate issue case.  It's really paltry, as far as Alito was concerned, so an unuseful diversion for us.

We need to hold this Alito nomination.  AS a diarist wrote last night.  Dems need to do this. "We'll respect you in the morning."

Veto Alito.

•  I agree (4.00)
      vanguard and CAP were side issues.

However it seemed a good idea to cover all the bases.

I heard a lot of people saying a major gaffe would mean he would go down, so I say we have the "gaffe"

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 09:58:05 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  CAP means more to me. (none)
        I think the Presidential authority (and President's lying) issue is the overwhelming rallying cry now.

(God know my try at "Alito's anti-Worker record" here, and also at dailykos, didn't gain any traction.)

Your diary hits the nail on the head. (cliche, sorry.)

•  Truthout report out today strengthens this (none)
    •  A filibuster would give us time to (4.00)
      explain how Bushs "national security" excuse doesn't hold water.

Once people know it was about political enemies - Bush is done.

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 10:01:14 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  political enemies. (none)
        Don't you love how the IRS was tracking party affiliation.

That makes a good database field to sort audit prospects by.  "If Party=D, ..."

•  Need to also connect (4.00)
        to the PATRIOT act renewal. Time is ticking on the five weeks. We have heard so much more about warrantless spying and the Signing Statements especially where Bush basically eviscerated the McCain anti Torture amendment. Folks, we have a unitary /unified or whatever executive in the form of a tyrannical despot.

While the major cables had long stopped carrying this morning's panel testimony, it was made clear that Alito on Nov. 17, 2000, spoke before the Federalist Society to affirm his President is Despot philosophy, so the prospective Bush administration would take notice. Talk of him as Bushie's appointee began then.

•  You know what's truly nuts and twisted? (4.00)
    Is that the pukes insist on threatening to 'go nuklear' if we filibuster.

When, in reality, US FILIBUSTERING is the nuklear option. The pukes are feigning that THEY hold the nuclear bomb. It is us who holds that bombing power. And when I see us actually buying into their paper mache tiger.....I am dumbfounded.

Yes, by all means, we hold this confirmation vote hostage!

LetsFight. re handle: Fight the radical right is the sentiment!

by letsfight on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 10:14:21 AM PST

•  Goddamn it people! (4.00)
    The dems are not going to save us! Please, I beg you to consider The ratchet effect. We simply must break out of the aristotle semantic black/white up/down left/right rethug/ demo straight jacket.
    Most effective description I've heard so far about the evolving situation. If you pay attention you can see what is coming.

I plan to be optimistic about it, there will always be "us against them" but if one educates oneself one can see that one can be both us and them. Or at least communicate with both sides.

As much as I dislike poiticians in general, I can't say that the current Democrats are as bad as these extreme radicals in power now. However, this assumes the ostensible "left" is represented by Dems. I clumsily raised the issue of "bicameralism" to emphasize how the system functionally assures one-party rule.

•  The problem is (none)
    they can shut the filibuster off if they go nuclear - but that option only applies to nominations.

The smart thing is to filibuster a piece of legislation (find one that is related )where they will need 60 votes to shut off debate.

That seems to me the better course right now, assuming we can get 40 senators to filibuster.

•  What is the nominee filibuster for if not (4.00)
      for the swing vote on SCOTUS?

Just what then are you saving it for, pray tell?

(If my logic here has worked, I'm leaving you speechless.)

•  The nuclear option (3.80)
        is much too iffy for the Republicans right now in the public eye, given all the scandals and the Bush admin's low approval rating.

The "nuclear option" was something the Republicans were able to wield with some swagger way last year and during the Roberts nomination, but I don't think even they will risk it now.

Sure, the Dems will take a big risk to filibuster this nomination, but it's a risk we must take, and we must find a clear, plain-spoken, articulate voice to explain to the American people why this filibuster to at least slow down this confirmation process is in all of our best interests.

This right to filibuster is our very last shred of Constitutional power we have left in this government. Very few American citizens understand this fact at this moment.  Once the Executive Branch also owns the Judiciary, (as it will with Alito becoming the 5-4 voite) we are lost.  Lost as the democracy our forebears sacrificed so much to bequeath to us.

LET US FIGHT, with any constitutional powers we still have.

•  Mutual Assured Destruction (4.00)
          It kept the U.S. and Soviets from using the REAL "Nuclear Option" during the Cold War, and I believe it will keep the Rethugs from using it this time. They have no real power, and they know it.

Filibuster - If not now, when?

We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor -The Declaration of Independence

by occams hatchet on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 12:42:58 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Repubs have killed off Prez nominees by filibuster (none)

before.  The roll-call records are here, including Hatch's, Grassley's + Specter's vote.

These guys knew what their constitutional rights were back then.  Constitution hasn't changed, guys.

•  41 senators. It takes 41. (none)
      Including at least 3 from the Gang of 14.

None Dare Call It Stupid!

by RonK Seattle on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 01:06:38 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Filibuster the sucker anyway (none)
      If they invoke the nuclear option, then they will have the process in the Senate crawl to a stop.  No unanimous consent.  Difficulties in getting quorums.

Filibuster legislation that Republicans really want as well.

Because to invoke the nuclear option, they will have to break the Senate rules by Vice-Presidential edict.

•  Why is the smart thing always to not fight? (none)
      Legislation can be easily undone, a supreme court appointee can never be undone.
  •  Could you imagine? (none)
    Picking the judge that would determine your guilt or innocense?
  •  this is a DAMN FINE idea. (none)

Come visit! http://thenextelection.blogspot.com

by jimmything2681 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 12:34:55 PM PST

•  Great idea (none)
    But Glenn Greenwald is right: this needs to go to a select committee, NOT the Judiciary Committee.  We all know how, ahem, well the Dems on the committee did this week.  And the last thing we need is Huckleberry Graham (kudos to Digby for coming up with such a fitting nickname) enabling another sob show.

Even beyond that, the Democrats must, must, MUST pick the best and brightest--those who understand all the intracacies of FISA etc., and those who can speak clearly and simply, get to the point, and not induce narcolepsy.  The future of the republic is at stake.

•  Plus... (4.00)
      in my view, Feinstein is a bad person to have on a review of illegal spying on Americans in the name of securing us against radical muslims.

Sad to say... I don't trust her agenda farther than I can throw her... given her track record and where her money and votes come from.

I agree that a select committe is better.

U.S. blue collar vs. CEO income in 1992 was 1:80; in 1999 it was 1:475.

by Lode Runner on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 12:51:13 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  about dianne's hubby.... (none)
        my own husband who is NOT particularly political said something interesting today....he suggested that Ms F's hubby might possibly be implicated in criminal activity because the dukester  was wearing a wire when talking to military contractors...could this be possible?

"if all the world's a stage, who is sitting in the audience?"

by KnotIookin on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 01:30:18 PM PST

•  fascinating... (none)
          good thing to watch for.

i honestly think feinstein is a real dino.

she undermines dems whenever there's something critical.

is she covert?

who knows... but she's my enemy at this point.

U.S. blue collar vs. CEO income in 1992 was 1:80; in 1999 it was 1:475.

by Lode Runner on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 08:27:13 PM PST

•  Recommended... (4.00)
    I'm on board for this plan.

Feinstein is not practicing due diligence if she gives George Bush... a man who has broken the law and defied the U.S. constitution... she shouldn't give such a man the nominee who will change the law to keep Bush in power.

Feinstein cannot be trusted... for whatever reason, she's on board to preserve neocon power in Israel and the middleast... she's on board to preserve the powers that be in our government.

Is she a corporatist? Is she a fundamentalist pro-Israel lobby infected representative?

Who cares... point is, she's not worth keeping in office if she will allow Alito's nomination.

Real Dems cannot trust people like Feinstein who rely on certain California votes... sadly.

Corporatist or Pro-Israel... real Dems need to follow Will's advice and start making alternative plans...

cause Feinstein simply can't be trusted not to sell this country out for her own personal agenda, whatever the hell it is.

U.S. blue collar vs. CEO income in 1992 was 1:80; in 1999 it was 1:475.

by Lode Runner on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 12:46:42 PM PST

•  Super recommend!!!! (none)
    No... super-duper-reccommend!!!!!!

For those of us who cant contribute time is there any way that we can contribute financially to FilibusterScalito.com to maintain servers, mailings etc?

•  Anyone have any ideas? (none)
      FilibusterScalito.com could use money for very good purposes, if we raise enough we could buy advertisements or run the winner of the 30 second ad competition.

I do not have experience with collecting money for something like this, are there rules governing this? Would just a paypal account and a donate button on the blog work?

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 01:19:53 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Permanent FILIBUSTER diary (4.00)
    Can we get a permanent FILIBUSTER diary on the KOS front page.  Can any of you out there who know KOS and Armando, or whoever in charge, and  try to convince them that it's a good idea.  Dem senator's and their aides, as well as MSM are going to be looking at this site frequently, and it would be great if the words FILIBUSTER ALITO were plastered all over.

THe story that needs to come out this weekend before SUnday Talk shows is that there is a formidable groundswell of support for a filibuster from the democratic grass roots

•  Did I just miss it (none)
    or did no one during those hearings ask Alito about his decision that the government has no right to ban machine guns?
  •  I know it's my slow brain day but... (none)
    can you state specifically what concrete action I can take to help out?  I'm sorry, I just can't quite figure out what I can do from reading the last paragraph in your diary.  I'm fired up to do something, though.
    •  Goto filibusterscalito.com (none)
      look at most recent post

Take a group of blogs on the list and contact them,  leave comments and e-mail authors. Leave a comment on filibusterscalito.com as to what group of blogs your taking and your name.

Also call up C-SPAN and Air America.

We can do this everyone!

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 01:37:41 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  It takes the brains from the Kos (none)
    It takes the brains from the Kos/libs/left to come up with a real plan. Amazing isn't it? I see more sense from this page than any politician. I'm with you! Great post!
  •  Snark (none)
    Very concrete.  "A Strategy for Victory in Fillibuster".  I'm cynical today.

Arrogance and stupidity: it's a winning combination.

by MatthewBrown on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 02:25:54 PM PST

•  Well, Ya but (none)
      its hard not to be, isnt it?   Things were looking so good the past few weeks regarding the scandals, but the news has abandoned those for now, anyway...

Illegitimi non carborundum-- Don't let the bastards wear ya down!

by fireflynw on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 02:40:34 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  SCALITO BANNER EHRE (none)
    Had to do this quick. Let me know if you need changes.

link:

•  Nice Banner! (none)
    I have been using different terms for the FISA scandal, but not positive what the best one was.

Whats the best term to use for it?

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 02:51:21 PM PST

•  Time to stand up and fight (none)
    I'm sick of the Democratic party being made out to be a bunch of wimps who stand for nothing.  This is their opporitunity to shutup all the hacks on CNN, Faux, MSNBC, etc.

This is something WE CAN WIN on.  Stick to what we believe in.  The public will support a group that isn't blown over by a stiff breeze.

•  Nice banner! (none)
    I like it!

Now we just have to get it on a bunch of web sites.

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 04:17:45 PM PST

•  don't forget the DSCC (none)
    They should be besieged now, too -- after all, if the Dems don't "show me the money" here with a filibuster until the NSA scandal is resolved, their fundraising arm can forget about ever seeing money from me!
  •  Putting our money where our mouth is. (4.00)
    I realize I risk being blasted as a spammer for posting this across multiple diaries and websites, but I'm just trying to get the word out. This is MY pledge, and I stand by it and I will stand with anyone who makes the same pledge.
    Today I received a mailing from the Democratic National Committee, which included a letter, a 2006 "membership card", and a donation request form. The form included the DNC's phone number and website, of course.

So I called. Why not right? Surprising that I got a live operator after 7PM EST on a Friday!

I thanked them for the card, and made a pledge. I will donate $100 to the Democratic National Committee should the Senate Democrats even attempt a filibuster of Samuel Alito.

I also made a promise that I would ask all of my family and friends, here in Rhode Island and across the country, and online (via blogs, email lists, online games, etc.) to donate to the DNC again on the condition that the Senate Democrats even attempt a filibuster.

And so, I am here to ask all of you. Fighters. Activists. Concerned citizens. Those who feel we've lost. Those who feel we're beaten. Those who are sick and tired of losing.

It's time for our own 'lobbying scandal'. It's time for us to put our money up for grabs - if that's what it takes to get those few pussies in the Senate to act like they represent us, then I say we FUCKING DO IT!

Lincoln Chafee is NO John Chafee - Sheldon Whitehouse for Senate 2006!

by Scoopster on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 04:30:05 PM PST

•  who wants to help moderate and design our site? (none)
    FilibusterScalito.com? I need help with it. I want to let a few people in on being moderators and design some pages for it.

Whose up for it?

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 04:47:54 PM PST

•  Also (none)
    Lights on for filibuster.

Light up the road.

•  Fine work. A few suggestions: (none)
    Since the Democrats may be delaying the Alito vote for a week, to me this implies:
    Contact Leahy, Reid, potential swing voters from either party, and strong performers like Kennedy and Schumer during this crucial week so they can get organized and understand the public is behind something like this.  If they handle it right they can lay out the connection between a large set of illegal activities we want to make sure don't get sanctioned post hoc by the highest court.

I'm delighted with your efforts, Will.  One of my only crits: I agree with those who say that openly partisan terms like "Scalito" (and "Repugs") tend to demean the debate and potentially turn off independents.  Something like StopAlito.com (which already points to a petition) is a better name.  (Looks like filibusteralito.com may be for sale.)

•  who wants to register (none)
      filibuster-alito.com?

who was the republican who called him scalito during the hearings?

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 05:05:27 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  and of course, Feingold! (none)
      How'd I leave him out?  Right now he has the strongest track record for recruiting principled Senators from both parties to defeat unconstitutional acts by the Bush administration.

This movement, far from limited to FISA, would benefit from linkage to the Senate's successful efforts thus far to prevent renewal of the worst parts of the PATRIOT Act.

•  Filibuster untill it's FIXED (none)
           The Patriot Act is expiring again at the end of Jan. We need to filibuster Alito and what about filibustering the Patriot Act renewal until we get the warrantless spying on Americans issue worked out, along with the whistleblower problem:
           (In NSA and other secret operations there is no where for the good and patriotic people who do this work,such as Russell Tice, to go to be heard . In this case the problem is illegal surveillance of Americans. Oversight as it is now is rigged- there are no elected civilians in this oversight role as it is now. We see where the NSA Inspector General is reviewing this. Rigged.
           This has been my same rant here for awhile now.)
            I see this as almost the same as what you're recommending. The Patriot Act is , not so coincidentally, up now for renewal, and we'll never get a better stick to use. Many aspects of it are going to be made permanent , and we don't have the control of House and Congress to get FISA and NSA legalities updated, hence my conclusion.A big stick, and our only one!
            The Nucaler option, o lordy, so what: the reepers aren't going to want us using that on them when the Dems are back in...We need to conflate the two issues, otherwise the filibuster is going to be harder to use, in what, two weeks when the Patriot Act is before us again????
             This president ,who has admitted to illegal acts, should not be allowed to appoint a Supreme Court justice, especially as this appointee may have to hear legal proceedings against this same pResident.

Somebody, do something, I got kids I care about, fer crying out loud!

by KenBee on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 05:51:15 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  When is the vote expected? (none)
    And when are the hearings supposed to start?

FLA Politics - A DailyKos-style community blog!

by MikeInFlorida on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 05:08:23 PM PST

•  Good idea... (none)
    Jesse Helms blocked reasonable people and legislation year after year after year.

Is he vilified for having thrown sand in the gears of the Senate?  No.  He's lionized even by misguided people on the left for his tenacity.  And people of all stripes think he was principled.

How many people think the Democratic leadership is principled?

I think this is a great way to try and force the FISA issue, before it, too, fades away.  If enough of these Constitutional outrages keep sliding by, before we know it, we will all end up with surveillance cameras in our living rooms, transponder implants, and electrified collars to compel us to daily mass.

Anybody seen my owl?

by Minerva on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 07:22:52 PM PST

•  Dream on! (none)
    I sympathize with your feelings but this is just not in the realm of poliitical reality. Politicians read polls. Americans are just not too upset about the NSA issue, even though we are. They would get upset if Dems filibustered Alito for NSA-related questions. Then voters would get very pissed off with dems. You do want to do well in the mid-terms, right?
  •  I share the outrage (none)
    posted here.  But the bottom line is Democrats cannot sustain a filibuster.  They don't have the votes.  There's an old saying that still holds:  "I don't belong to an organized political party, I'm a Democrat".   Republicans walk in lock step - they twist arms, they bribe, they threaten, they put party above principle always.  If you want an example, look no further than Specter, that great champion of "women's rights", Mr. Pro-choice!  Never, I repeat, never expect Democrats to be like Republicans.

"He that sees but does not bear witness, be accursed" Book of Jubilees

by Lying eyes on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 09:11:29 PM PST

•  It's our job to encourage the votes (none)
    The McCain Amendment, banning torture of American-held prisoners in the "Global War on Terror," was passed by an overwhelming, veto-proof bipartisan majority in both the House and the Senate.
  •  We'll get the votes (none)
    Negative defeatist thinking is what is ruining this party.

Reid has delayed vote for a week, don't you think he wants to fight?

THIS IS THE TIME FOR A GROUNDSWELL OF SUPPORT FROM THE GRASSROOTS

The GOP rushed us into war, we won't be rushed into Monarchy.

by Will the Organizer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 11:44:15 PM PST

selise, Terri, miriam, Phoenix Woman, MadRuth, alyosha, mkinny, gogol, ubikkibu, 2pt5cats, Unstable Isotope, wytcld, liz, shumard, spacebaby, scottmaui, OLinda, lysias, uffdalib, Pompatus, azale, free speech zone, Voodoo, musicsleuth, mataliandy, HariSeldon, eRobin, Jean, humbucker, cosmos, Microangelo, jackspace, km4, tlh lib, johnsloan, bronte17, Silverleaf, SamSinister, msbatxnyc, annrose, understandinglife, jem6x, FtheNaysayers, djMikulec, HippyWitch, highacidity, Scoopster, pixelthief, roses, Prove Our Democracy with Paper Ballots, michelle, oslo, Molee, cognitive dissonance, House, ornerydad, Nate Roberts, ctsteve, splashy, celticshel, nitetalker, Alohaleezy, Braindead, chinkoPelinke, Magatsu, rcvanoz, BurnetO, sockpuppet, apotropaic, nj mom, Sycamore, jennifergr, TXsharon, praedor, Hawksana, original practice, joan reports, chantedor, A Ball of Lint, horsewithnoname, Timbuk3, Bluefish, Levity, MikeInFlorida, bobnbob, Bozos Rnot4 Bush, Dr Seuss, mosesfreeman, liesl, bibble, We hold these truths, CA Amy, drewvsea, Gowrie Gal, nehark, Skennet Boch, joanneleon, Los Diablo, ebbak, Bluesee, lenore68, letsfight, offred, lil bird, myeye, Ranting Roland, tikal, Jules Beaujolais, chicagovigilante, annefrank, Nite74, Irrelevant Prolixity, knocienz, inforet, IKIA, Shaking the Tree, Cory Bantic, Lode Runner, hdaman, JPete, kathny, occams hatchet, andreuccio, barrettzinn, kraant, Theo McCarthy, rmdSeaBos, Compost On The Weeds, BlueInARedState, Yellow Canary, Dvalkure, KenBee, Jordan LFW, Tanya, Hang em High, arbortender, Kitten

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site